Tuesday 21 April 2009

Ford Consul

I smiled when I saw this reference to Lowry's Consul in a post about the classic British Ford car. My brother bought a bright yellow one before he could drive. He used to proudly sit in it on my parent's drive having invited his friends over to join in the "ride".

Here is what the site had to say:

This is Down On The Street Bonus Edition, where we check out interesting street-parked cars located in places other than the Island That Rust Forgot. Having just read Gordon Bowker's excellent Malcolm Lowry biography, Pursued By Furies, I can't see the word "Consul" without the quasi-autobiographical character of that name in Lowry's masterpiece coming to mind. That's why I imagine this '58 Ford Consul locked in a 50-year downward spiral of ethanol abuse, swilling whatever the Thai equivalent of mescal might be. We also get some bonus cars: an Alfa Giulia Spider and some sort of ancient Mazda wagon. Make the jump to see and read more, and thanks to Arco for sending in these shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment